Humanitarian and Social Issues
- Hits: 7675
Strictly comply with obligations and principles of the Universal declaration on human rights, and ratif, implement at the national level and operationalise all relevant and related international and regional human rights instruments.
The 11 Heads of State and Government of Member countries of the International Conference on the Great Lakes Region, meeting in Dar Es-Salaam, on 19 and 20 November 2004, under the auspices of the United Nations and the African Union signed the Pact on Security, Stability and Development in the Great Lakes Region on 15 December 2006 in Nairobi, Kenya, committed themselves to the respect of the following common constitutional principles:
• Find lasting solutions to guarantee protection and assistance to populations affected by political conflicts in the Great Lakes Region, as well as by humanitarian, social, and environmental catastrophes, by implementing a Programm of Action on Humanitarian, Social and Environmental Issues;
• Promoting policies aimed at disaster prevention, protection, assistance and to search for durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced persons, as well as their environment;
• Promoting relevant policies to guarantee access to basic social services by the populations affected by conflicts and effects of natural disasters.
The Regional Program of Action for Humanitarian and Social Issues comprises 2 sub-programs, 13 projects which 7 priorities.
1. Framework for Disaster Preparedness, Protection and Assistance to the Internally Displaced Persons and their Environment
• Compliance with international, regional Human Rights Instruments;
• Protection, Assistance and search for lasting solutions for displaced Populations;
• Legal Framework on Issues Relating to the Recovery of Lands and Properties of Returning Persons;
• Environmental Assessment, Restoration and Rehabilitation of Human Settlements.
2. The Resumption of Basic Social Services, Provision of Healthcare and Psycho-social Support to Groups with Special Needs
• Fight against HIV/AIDS, Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) Tuberculosis and Malaria
• Prevention of, Fight against Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Violence and Assistance to Victims
• Promotion of Kiswahili
OUR PROJECTS AND PARTNERS:
• Compliance with international, regional Human Rights Instruments
Key Partners. OHCHR, UNHCR, UNICEF
Key Partners. UNHCR, OCHA
Key Partners. UN-HABITAT
Key Partners. UNEP
Key Partners. GLOBAL FONDS , WHO, UNAIDS
Key Partners. UNIFEM, Regional GBV task force
Key Partners. Institution of Swahili, Universite of Dar Es Salaam, Dept of Swahili @ Kcl Kenya Institution of Education, University of Lubumbashi;