By 2018, the Conference Secretariat (CS) is an efficient and effective institution and the focal point coordinating the implementation of the Pact and other related initiatives of Member States and other stakeholders
WHAT IS OUR MISSION:
To be an effective and dynamic institution which: • Coordinates;
• Monitors and
Ensures the implementation of the Pact and other initiatives, in order to attain peace, security, stability and development in the Great Lakes Region.
WHAT IS OUR ROLE:
The Secretariat is the technical arm and coordinating body of the ICGLR process.
Its functions are the following:
• Ensuring the implementation of the decisions of Summit and the Inter-Ministerial Committee, and reporting on it;
• Ensuring implementation of the Pact and execution of the Programs of Action, Projects and Protocols;
• Organizing the meeting of the Summit, the Inter-Ministerial Committee and of the other conference structures and forums;
• Harmonizing of co-operation with the partners and relevant regional economic communities;
• Establishing a work program and budget relating to its activities ensuring of their implementation.
WHAT IS OUR ADDED VALUE:
• The Pact promotes one joint initiative of 11 countries of the Region in dealing with issues of peace, stability and development in the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact creates an institutional and legal framework in addressing issues pertinent to the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact establishes a Peer Review Mechanism specific to the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact defines common standards and approaches to relevant issues in the Great Lakes Region;
• The ICGLR provides a comprehensive regional approach to peace building reconstruction and development
Headquarters of the ICGLR on Boulevard du Japon, No 38, P.O.BOX 7076, Bujumbura, BURUNDI