Nairobi, Kenya, 20th March 2015: The International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR) Regional Committee on the Regional Initiative on Fight against Illegal Exploitation of Natural Resources (RINR) concluded its 11th Ordinary Meeting in Nairobi, Kenya.
The meeting received progress reports from Member States on the implementation of the six tools against the illegal exploitation of natural resources in Member States, discussed the self-financing mechanism, and validated the draft reports on the situation analysis on the implementation of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (EITI) in Member States and the Pilot study on the integration of EITI in Artisanal and small Scale Mining (ASM).
The meeting was officially opened by Ambassador Zachary Muburi-Muita, ICGLR National Coordinator of the Republic of Kenya and having discussed on various presentations, the ICGLR Regional Committee among others made the following recommendations and decisions:
1. Encouraged Member States to put in place all legal instruments necessary for the launch of the ICGLR Certificate.
2. Undertake consultations on sustainability of the cooperation and ownership of the Analytical Finger Printing (AFP) Laboratory between the ICGLR Secretariat, SEAMIC, the Ministry of Energy and Minerals of the United Republic of Tanzania, and BGR.
3. Organized regional workshop on Analytical Finger Printing to sensitize Member States and other stakeholders with the support of BGR.
4. Validate the reports on the situation analysis on the implementation of EITI in Member States and the Pilot study on the integration of EITI in Artisanal and small Scale Mining by 3rd April 2015, after incorporating inputs and observations provided by Member States.
5. Hold the fourth Meeting of Ministers in charge of Mines in the margins of the next Ordinary Summit of Heads of State and Government.
6. The Regional Committee revisits its internal rules and regulations for possible review of some provisions.
7. Hold in September 2015 the 12th meeting of the Regional Committee on the Regional Initiative on Fight against Illegal Exploitation of Natural Resources in Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania.
The meeting was attended by representatives of the following Member States: Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Sudan, United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of Uganda and the representative of the Regional Women Forum. The meeting was also attended by the team of the ICGLR Secretariat, Levy Mwanawasa Regional Centre for Democracy and Good Government and Chairman of the ICGLR Audit Committee. The meeting was also the attended by the following partners: GIZ, BGR and USAID/TETRA TECH.
Download PR in PDF