By 2018, the Conference Secretariat (CS) is an efficient and effective institution and the focal point coordinating the implementation of the Pact and other related initiatives of Member States and other stakeholders .
WHAT IS OUR MISSION:
To be an effective and dynamic institution which: • Coordinates;
• Monitors and
Ensures the implementation of the Pact and other initiatives, in order to attain peace, security, stability and development in the Great Lakes Region.
WHAT IS OUR ROLE:
The Secretariat is the technical arm and coordinating body of the ICGLR process.
Its functions are the following:
• Ensuring the implementation of the decisions of Summit and the Inter-Ministerial Committee, and reporting on it;
• Ensuring implementation of the Pact and execution of the Programs of Action, Projects and Protocols;
• Organizing the meeting of the Summit, the Inter-Ministerial Committee and of the other conference structures and forums;
• Harmonizing of co-operation with the partners and relevant regional economic communities;
• Establishing a work program and budget relating to its activities ensuring of their implementation.
WHAT IS OUR ADDED VALUE:
• The Pact promotes one joint initiative of 11 countries of the Region in dealing with issues of peace, stability and development in the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact creates an institutional and legal framework in addressing issues pertinent to the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact establishes a Peer Review Mechanism specific to the Great Lakes Region;
• The Pact defines common standards and approaches to relevant issues in the Great Lakes Region;
• The ICGLR provides a comprehensive regional approach to peace building reconstruction and development
Headquarters of the ICGLR on Boulevard du Japon, No 38, P.O.BOX 7076, Bujumbura, BURUNDI